Monday, December 8, 2008

Tomato Soup

I just love Cibo’s Pappa Al Pomodoro or simply known as Tomato Soup (Tuscan style). On one of our many potlucks at my in-laws’ home, my brother-in-law, suggested that I just prepare soup as there were other viands already. I’m like, what kind of soup shall I make? I was thinking…then Cibo’s tomato soup came into mind. So I got ingredients from Makati Supermart and cooked my first ever tomato soup. I cooked it the way I like it and they liked it...well that's what they said (I don't know if they were just being polite or something). I would serve it every now and then, since. The way I do it:

2 kilo ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and diced
3 heads large garlic, finely chopped
3 heads large red onion, finely chopped
1 medium-sized can Del Monte tomato paste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2.5 liters Beef or Chicken stock (your choice really, I like beef. If you don’t have the real thing you can use those commercial broths instead, like Knorr cubes)
Fresh Basil leaves, hand-shred
Dried Basil leaves (McCormick)
Bread croutons
Salt
Pepper (McCormick Peppermill)

Heat soup pot over medium-low heat. Add in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes, stir occasionally. Put in the tomatoes, crushing it a bit, then season with salt, pepper and a little dried basil leaves. Add the broth and increase heat. Bring to boil. And you’re done. (You may add or hold some ingredients as you wish. Like if you want it more tomato-ey add more tomatoes or tomato paste. Or more broth if you find it too tomato-ey. Ouido, remember?)

Serve in soup bowls, preferably the shallow ones. Top with parmesan cheese, bread croutons, fresh basil. Let them adjust taste, just pass around salt and pepper.

Fast and easy, huh? Serves 18 or more. Hey, It’s a big family. So I am used to cooking for a group. Just do the math, if you’re cooking for a smaller group.



*image from liketocook.com. Will post own photo once I cook it again.

No comments: